Last updated Oct. 7, 2019
This Policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you use the website (https://www.ratequote.com) (our “Website”) and our related services (the “Services”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information, whether as a guest or a registered user.
This Policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website and between you and the Company.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this Policy.
- From third parties that choose to share information with us based on your use of our Services, including our insurance company partners.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website or through any communication that you may have with one of our partners, such as an insurance company, unless that third party chooses to shares such information with us.
II. Children Under the Age of 15
Our Website and Services are not intended for children under 15 years of age. No one under age 15 may provide any Personal Information (as defined below) to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information (as defined below) from children under 15. If you are under 15, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features, register on the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information (as defined below) from a child under 15 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 15, please contact us at
California residents under 16 years of age may have additional rights regarding the collection and sale of their personal information. Please see Your California Privacy Rights below for more information.
III. Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
Personal Information Collected. We collect personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) to use as part of our Service. This Personal Information may include, but is not limited to:
- name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, demographic information (such as gender and date of birth), credit score;
- insurance data (such as your vehicle insurance carrier and plan);
- familial data (such as marital status);
- vehicle and driver information (such as model of vehicle, incident information, and driver’s license status);
- homeowner status and information; and/or
- any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline.
Other Information Collected. We may also collect the following information (together with Personal Information, “User Information”):
- information about you but individually does not identify you, such your credit score or your vehicle information;
- information that you choose to provide about a third party that is not the individual proposed for coverage; and/or
- information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details.
You may still access and use our Website and Services if you choose not to provide us with any of the above User Information, but some of our Website features and Services may not be available to you, and some of our Website functions and Services, such as providing insurance quotes, may not be as accurate or complete without certain User Information.
You may provide information about other people, such as their name, date of birth, and gender. This information is used for the sole purpose of completing your request for an insurance quote or for whatever reason it may have been provided. The third party may contact us at email@example.com to request that we remove this information from our database.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the Website. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, insurance providers that we partner with to provide you quotes on the Website or social network services that you may use to login and register for our Website (e.g., Facebook or Google). The information that we receive from these social network services will depend on the policies of that third party service.
Information You Provide to Us. The User Information we collect on or through our Website or Services may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Website, requesting our Services, completing any relevant applications for insurance, or posting material. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our Website or Services.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website or any of our Services.
- Your search queries on the Website.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, "posted") on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties, such as reviews of the Website (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although we may limit access to certain pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies. As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
Analytics. We may enter contracts with third-party service providers, such as FullStory, to collect non-personally identifiable data on behalf of RateQuote and provide us with information, reports, and analysis about the usage, general location information, and browsing patterns of users of the Website and Services. All of the data collected by these providers on our behalf is owned by us.
Use of Automatically Collected Information. The information we collect automatically is statistical data and may include Personal Information, or we may maintain it or associate it with Personal Information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
Technology. The technologies we may use for automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our the Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain Website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information below.
V. How We Use Your Information
Use of Your Information. We use, store and process your information to provide and improve our Services and ensure a secure, safe and trusted experience. For example, we may use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, quotes, and other services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To improve the Website and Services.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- To respond to correspondence that we receive from you.
- To resolve disputes.
- To protect against or deter fraudulent, illegal, or harmful actions.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may also use your User Information to contact you about our own and third-parties' goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way, please check the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data (the Quote Request Form. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information below.
We may use the information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers' target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your User Information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria.
How Long We Store Your Information. We will keep your information for as long as necessary to provide you with the Services, maintain our legitimate business operations, and/or exercise, defend or establish our rights.
How long we retain your personal information depends on why we collected it and how we use it, but we will not retain your personal information for longer than necessary for our business purposes or for legal requirements. We will retain information about you that is connected with your account or our Services for as long as you have an active account with us. We will take reasonable measures to delete this personal information if you delete/deactivate your account. However, you acknowledge that we may retain some information after you have deactivated, or we have deleted, your account necessary to enable us to meet our legal obligations or to exercise, defend, or establish our rights.
VI. How Your Information May Be Used by Insurance Companies
VII. Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
We may disclose User Information that we collect or you provide, as well as information that you provide to us about third-parties, as described in this Policy:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates, including Compare Credit LLC and Sovereign Co. LLC.
- To insurance companies or their agents or government-run entities.
- To service providers and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of RateQuote's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by RateQuote about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To third parties to market their products or services to you if you have not opted out of these disclosures. We contractually require these third parties to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information below.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your User Information, as well as information that you provide to us about third-parties:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of RateQuote, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Telephone Consumer Protection Act Compliance. If you provide a cell phone number with your contact information, RateQuote and/or third-parties specified above may dial your cell phone number, possibly using an autodialer, to provide quote information and/or seek additional information in order to provide a quote. By providing a cell phone number, you agree to be contacted at that cell phone number, regardless of whether you, or someone else, is in possession of the cell phone when contact is made. Entering into this agreement is not a condition of purchasing any goods or services.
VIII. Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the User Information you provide to us and that we collect. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from the Company; Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising.If you do not wish to have your email address/contact information used by the Company to promote our own or third parties' products or services or want us to share your User Information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have sent you a promotional email, you use the “Unsubscribe” link in the email to opt-out of such communications.
Targeted Advertising. If you do not want us to use information that we collect or that you provide to us to deliver advertisements according to our advertisers' target-audience preferences, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com.We do not control third parties' collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from Google by visiting https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated and from members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") by visiting the NAI's website.
California residents may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see Your California Privacy Rights below for more information.
IX. How We Respond to "Do Not Track"
X. Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can review and change some of your User Information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct or delete any User Information that you have provided to us. We may need to delete your user account if you request that we delete some particular User Information. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
California residents may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see Your California Privacy Rights below for more information.
XI. Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit https://www.ratequote.com/ca-privacy-notice/.
XII. Data Security
We have implemented measures designed to secure your User Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls and will be encrypted using SSL technology.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Website like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Website.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your User Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your User Information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of User Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
It is our policy to post any changes we make to our Policy on this page with a notice that the Policy has been updated on the Website home page. If we make material changes to how we treat User Information, we will notify you by email to the primary email address specified in your account or through a notice on the Website home page. The date the Policy was last revised is identified at the top of the page. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date active and deliverable email address for you, and for periodically visiting our Website and this Policy to check for any changes.
XIV. Contact Information
To ask questions or comment about this Policy and our privacy practices, contact us at:
164 Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401